Châtel is a well-known and traditional Alpine ski resort located close to the border with Switzerland. Offering two main areas, Super Châtel and Pré la Joux, each offering a range of skiing above and below the tree-line with spectacular views across the region.
With well-maintained slopes, traditional Alpine scenery and a short transfer from Calais, Châtel is a great choice, and benefits from being less busy than the nearby resorts of Morzine and Avoriaz. With a variety of challenging red and blue tree-lined runs, a half-pipe and a BoarderX park for the snowboarders, Châtel has something to offer everyone.
The Châtel liftpass includes skiing at Châtel, Super Châtel, Linga and Pré la Joux covering 45 lifts and 83km of pistes. The Portes du Soleil pass covering all lifts on the map is available at a supplement (details on request).
Châtel forms part of the immense Portes du Soleil ski area, with over 600km of skiing. Beginners either start their week on the gentle slopes of Super Châtel, which is served by a ten-man telecabine, or at Pré la Joux during the busy season. From here progression is often quick and towards the end of the week instructors take their groups further afield for a real sense of adventure.
At Super Châtel intermediates will also enjoy long tree-lined red pistes with superb views over Lake Geneva, running all the way down into Switzerland. For advanced skiers, the choice of high quality skiing is absolutely vast including the notorious “Wall” in Avoriaz with its almost vertical mogul field.
Km of piste
Direction of slopes
South and Southeast
No of lifts
Yes. €3 deposit
No of runs
9 17 14 6
180 snow cannons
Châtel is included, Portes du Soleil is available at a supplement.
Doctor in resort, hospitals in Thonon and Evian.
Approx 12 hours from Calais
- Family-run hotel
- 10 mins to slopes by coach
This is a lovely, traditional alpine hotel which offers comfort and close proximity to the slopes.
Location: Situated in La Chapelle d’Abondance, the hotel is approximately 10 minutes from Châtel by coach. La Chapelle itself has a small selection of shops and bars, whilst Châtel has a wider range of evening activities.
Facilities: There is a large restaurant and an additional room which may be used as a meeting room. The bar features a TV, whilst a large games room has a pool table and another TV. A Jacuzzi and sauna is available for teachers for a small charge.
Accommodation: The well-furnished bedrooms sleep 2-6 people with some in mezzanine-style rooms. All have bath or shower and WC and are of a high standard.
Meals: Buffet breakfast, packed lunch and 3 course evening meal.
- Ice Hockey
Europe Price Package:
All Equity packages are tailor-made to suit the needs of our groups. Here are our standard package inclusions:
- Return travel by air or coach
- 1 free staff place for every 10 full paying passengers by Air
- Or 1 free staff place for every 8 full paying passengers by Coach
Includes full-board accommodation, lift pass, 5 or 6 days ski tuition, skis boots, poles and helmet, dedicated resort representative service, fully comprehensive travel insurance and 24 hour emergency service.
The Equity Ski Europe package in detail:
- Return travel by Air or Coach (Air packages include coach to airport from school and overseas coach transfers.)
- All security charges, airport and local taxes
- 1 free staff place for every 10 full paying passengers by Air or 1 free staff place for every 8 full paying passengers by Coach
- Full-board accommodation
- Dedicated resort representative service
- Evening entertainment programme (optional)
- Full use of your coach in resort (coach groups only and subject to EU drivers hours regulations)
Ski Pack Inclusions...
- Lift-pass. Supplements are payable for extension areas in some resorts
- 5 or 6 days of ski tuition (minimum 4 hours per day. Additional tuition is available for a supplement)
- Skis, boots and poles
- 24 hour emergency service
- All travel documentation, luggage labels and resort information
- Personalised customer service throughout from your knowledgeable tour coordinator
Fully comprehensive travel insurance (optional) includes:
- Ski breakage insurance
- Snow guarantee insurance
- Travel delay assistance
Extras to budget for...
- Evening entertainments
Unlike some other major linked ski areas, Châtel has retained its authentic French charm allowing students to discover traditional culture and practice their language skills.
Jonny, Equity Ski Manager