The Italian Alps’ first purpose-built resort, Sestriere’s slopes sit just above the tree line and are part of the enormous Milky Way ski circuit. Our school groups love the great location, huge choice of ski areas and laid-back atmosphere in the village, which has a cosmopolitan feel and great pastry shops. When the ski lifts close for the day, there’s plenty going on with après-ski activities – from skidoo rides to the neighbouring resort of Claviere to ice skating on an outdoor rink and evening discos in a mountain style venue.
Chosen as a host for the 2006 Winter Olympics, Sestriere’s championship slopes and three Olympic standard runs are a great source of motivation. One of Italy’s highest resorts, it also has a reputation for great snow, with the north-facing slopes holding their snow particularly well throughout the season.
The Olympic legacy in Sestriere and the Milky Way is clear to see – significant investment has left a first-class lift-system linking Sestriere with nearby Pragelato, Sauze d’Oulx and Sansicario plus a wide-reaching snowmaking system, whilst new hotels and amenities can be found throughout the pedestrianised villages of the ski area.
Sestriere offers the best value lift passes in Europe and school groups can obtain the Milky Way lift-pass with a one-day extension to the neighbouring French resort of Montgenèvre for free.
Sestriere Image Gallery
Click on an image to enlarge it...
Sitting in a snowy bowl in the centre of the Milky Way circuit, Sestriere’s pistes suit a range of abilities but hold the most scope for intermediate skiers. Guided by enthusiastic instructors, beginners can learn to snow plough on the local slopes near the village, while intermediates skiers can try the more challenging blues and reds.
The resort’s wide, sweeping pistes are great for cruising along, and there are a couple of fantastic wooded runs nearer the village. For your strongest skiers, the World Cup giant slalom is a source of inspiration.
Km of piste
Direction of slopes
No of lifts
No of runs
42 102 21
950 snow cannons
Milky Way (Italian) and one day extension to Montgenevre
Doctors in Cesana, hospital in Susa (35km)
Approx 1.5 hours from Turin
Approx 14 hours from Calais
Hotel Duchi D’Aosta
- Fantastic central location in the heart of Sestriere
- Located a few metres from a ski lift
Hotel Duchi D’Aosta is a wonderful hotel that boasts the perfect location in Sestriere. It’s a large hotel with all the mod-cons you need for a comfortable stay including an on-site restaurant and friendly welcoming staff. The boot room is located in the hotel Torre Rossa, sister hotel, directly on the slopes, which is very convenient.
Capacity: 550 (195 rooms)
Location: Hotel Duchi D’Aosta is located in the centre of Sestriere, just a few meters from the ski lift.
Facilities: The hotel has a large disco area with a stage.
Accommodation: All rooms are clean, modern and are multi-bedded, with two standard sized beds and two smaller sized beds.
Meals: Our groups will eat hot lunch in the hotel and meals are all served buffet style. Tables are reserved for your group and the same area will be available throughout your stay.
- Skidoo ride to mountain restaurant
Europe Price Package:
All Equity packages are tailor-made to suit the needs of our groups. Here are our standard package inclusions:
- Return travel by air or coach
- 1 free staff place for every 10 full paying passengers by Air
- Or 1 free staff place for every 8 full paying passengers by Coach
Includes full-board accommodation, lift pass, 5 or 6 days ski tuition, skis boots, poles and helmet, dedicated resort representative service and 24 hour emergency service.
The Equity Ski Europe package in detail:
- Return travel by Air or Coach (Air packages include overseas airport transfer. Coach to UK airport from school is available as an optional extra.)
- All security charges, airport and local taxes
- 1 free staff place for every 10 full paying passengers by Air or 1 free staff place for every 8 full paying passengers by Coach
- Full-board accommodation
- Dedicated resort representative service
- Evening entertainment programme (optional)
- Full use of your coach in resort (coach groups only and subject to EU drivers hours regulations)
Ski Pack Inclusions...
- Lift-pass. Supplements are payable for extension areas in some resorts
- 5 or 6 days of ski tuition (minimum 4 hours per day. Additional tuition is available for a supplement)
- Skis, boots and poles
- 24 hour emergency service
- All travel documentation, luggage labels and resort information
- Personalised customer service throughout from your knowledgeable tour coordinator
Extras to budget for...
- Evening entertainments
One of the best bases for exploring the Milky Way, Sestriere is also one of the world's first purpose-built ski resorts developed in the 1930s.
Sam, Equity Ski Specialist
OTHER ITALIAN SCHOOL SKI TRIPS